What to KNOW
Despite being one thought of as one of the last villages to be permanently settled
on the Lower North Shore, Chevery has a long history including archaeological evidence of occupation during
the Maritime Archaic period. The village is located along a sandy bay near the mouth of the
thundering Netagamiou River. An early French fur-trading and seal-fishing post was established
here in the 1730s by Jacques de Lafontaine de Belcour through a concession from France. After
the post was abandoned in the 1770s, a salmon and seal fishery was established in 1826 and
animated at the mouth of the Netagmiou River by Thomas Collard and his family until 1875.
There was no further settlement in the area until 1931. That year, an experimental agricultural
farm was established on the eastern bank of the nearby Cross River. With support from the
federal government, William “Dosh” Anderson and his family cleared the land, imported
livestock, and maintained vegetable gardens. The farm operated until World War II.
In the 1950s, residents of remote Gull Cliff Island, Aylmer Sound and various abandoned
settlements requested a permanent mainland community with better acess to services. This
resulted in the establishment of Chevery.